Sunday, June 1, 2008

PS3 Procured!

With the advent of MGS4 less than two weeks away, I decided yesterday that it was time to quit dawdling and get myself a PS3. I drove to Best Buy, grabbed the only PS3 I could find on the shelves, picked out a couple of blu-rays, and proceeded to the checkout. I'd been saving up for one since the beginning of the year, so it wasn't a huge bite out of my current finances.

I was feeling pretty psyched as I returned to my car. The only thing that was even slightly annoying me was my unexpected discovery that Sweeny Todd apparently isn't out on blu-ray (seriously, what the hell?). I ploppped my new acquisition down in the passenger's seat and looked it over... and then there was a disturbance in the force. I suddenly realized three things:
  1. The PS3 I'd just bought only had a lame SIXAXIS controller packed-in with it, not a Dualshock 3.

  2. It also only came with shitty composite video cables, not HDMI cables.

  3. I was a gigantic tool for not realizing either of those things before that moment.

Well, I'll be damned if I'm going to half-ass Metal Gear Solid 4, of all things. I drove across the street to Target and bought myself an HDMI cable and a Dualshock 3. Then I went home, hooked up my new PS3, and beheld its awesomeness.

OK... admittedly, I hadn't actually bought any games for it. Right now I'm still focused on beating all the Metal Gear games. I don't have time to spare for anything else at the moment, especially considering how many hours I'm going to be stuck working during the upcoming week (13 hour days, anyone?). That being said, I had fun exploring the Playstation Network a bit. There were two things in particular that I was excited to discover: one, I could choose a picture of Sly Cooper as my PSN profile avatar; and two, there's a downloadable theme that makes the UI menus on your PS3 look all retro and pixellated, just like the menus in No More Heroes. Badass!

Just for the record, here are the two blu-rays I ended up buying:

I'm not sure it's even possible to get two movies that are more opposite of each other.


4 comments:

Barry said...

I'm laughing so hard at your Rambo choice, it is not even funny. Still, though: with the digital copy? I've considered picking it up myself.
I've got premonition MGS4 withdraw!

Caleb said...

Live for nothin', or die for somethin'. Your call!

Steph J said...

rambo? jesus, caleb.

Caleb said...

Admittedly, the way the movie uses a real-life war filled with actual human suffering as a backdrop for Sly kicking ass is pretty distateful.

That being said, those scenes of Sly kicking ass are absolutely mind-blowing (literally). I honestly can't believe the movie managed to get an R rating with all the carnage involved. That part where the sniper guy is headshotting people with his .50 caliber Barrett sniper rifle is almost worth the price of admission all by itself. Splork!